|Air Date:||July 8, 2012|
|Writer:||Jeremy Smith & Jonathan Lloyd Walker|
| Episode Guide
Kagame pursues step one of his new agenda - win the intellectuals and the grass roots dissenters. When the CEO of a major corporation is kidnapped by Liber8, Kiera and Carlos have to a race a literal ticking clock in order to save the CEO from having the public extract their pound of flesh.
In a flashforward to the future, Kiera is among the CPS Protectors who stopped the raid of a corporation, Piron. Kiera begins to question what the corporates are really doing when she realizes that the people involved in the riot were merely stealing food that were supposed to have been distributed to them.
Back to the present, a protest takes a violent turn when a group of anarchists join in and cause a riot. This turns out to simply be a ruse initiated by Liber8 to distract the authorities from their real plan: the abduction of Exotrol's CEO, Henrietta Sherman. To make matters worse, Alec's stepbrother, Julian, is part of the group. He later tells Roland when he finds himself being chastised for not supporting their cause. This later leads to a confrontation between father and son, wherein Roland points out that their cause does not need violence, and Julian says the cause actually needs action. Julian's bitterness over losing their family farm is then finally made clear.
Soon, a video of Sherman is released on the Internet, reading a scripted speech about being a criminal. Liber8 then demands $20 million in cash. Later, the money is provided by Exotrol, and as they wait for whoever Liber8 sends to pick it up, Liber8 publicly announces that the money will go to the protesters. The protesters then rally them and take the money. Kiera and Carlos later see a dummy of Ms. Sherman, with a sign taped to her that says, "Not yet", meaning she will not yet be set free, despite the ransom money.
Realizing that Liber8 may have indirectly hired the teenagers for the riot through a proxy, Kiera has Alec look for ways to find a member of the group of rebels. He then finds their leader, Francis Hall. When Kiera and Carlos get their, however, Sherman's head of security, Frank Bolo, was already there with a gun to Hall's head. Although he claims to be grilling him about his boss' whereabouts, it is later revealed that he was in fact trying to get rid of him. Francis Hall, meanwhile, initially did not want to talk, but after pulling off a trick with her multi-tool, Hall tells Kiera that he received their instructions via text.
Kagame then decides to put the decision to kill or free Sherman to an Internet vote - confirming to Kiera that Liber8 have changed their tactics and are trying to get the public on their side by giving them the power to decide her fate. Within two hours, with majority wanting her dead, so Liber8 leaves her with a bomb strapped to her chest. Kiera and Carlos race a literal ticking clock in order to save Sherman from the public's wrath.
With Kellog's tip, Kiera figures out that someone inside Exotrol must have been working with Liber8. She recalls Frank Bolo confronting the leader of the anarchist group and realizes that he was going to kill the boy. Frank is taken into custody after he runs from Kiera and Carlos and even engages in a little brawl with them. When confronted about it, Frank is initially silent until they bring up Travis, who he seems to be afraid of. They suggest to him that he tell them who else hired him, and he points them towards Chou.
By the time they arrive at the location, which Alec unwillingly fed to Betty, Sherman only has a few minutes left, and a message on the phone on the bomb tells them that "The truth will set her free." Kiera then realizes that the bomb will not go off if Sherman confesses to whatever Liber8 wants her to. Reluctantly, Sherman confesses that they have indeed been stealing from their investors and even their employees. The bomb does not go off; when the timer ran out, a "Bang!" flag drops out and confetti explodes in Sherman's face out, scaring her further into tears.
Sherman is then arrested, and Kiera and Carlos confront Chou about their conspiracy against her. He confesses to being responsible for arranging the kidnapping to let her confess to insider trading so he could take position, but claims he had no idea Liber8 would murder people and threaten Sherman's life along the way.
All this gains Liber8 more support as people begin putting up posters of Liber8. Other than support, it also made them profit after they shorted option futures of $3.5 million in stocks, which became $20 million after Sherman's confession affected the corporation. Meanwhile, Kellog had broken into her apartment and stole the piece of the time travel device.
In a flashforward to the future, Kiera told her husband, Greg about what she and Elena found during their riot detail the night before. When she told him about her concerns, Greg call her out, telling her that her opinions are sounding like the conspiracy theories of Liber8.
Back in the present, Carlos reassures a bothered Kiera, whose beliefs may not be as strong as they used to be, and some activists are shown putting up posters supporting Liber8.
- Rachel Nichols as Kiera Cameron
- Victor Webster as Carlos Fonnegra
- Erik Knudsen as Alec Sadler
- Stephen Lobo as Matthew Kellog
- Roger Cross as Travis Verta
- Lexa Doig as Sonya Valentine
- Tony Amendola as Edouard Kagame
- Omari Newton as Lucas Ingram
- Luvia Petersen as Jasmine Garza (absent)
- Jennifer Spence as Betty Robertson
- Marilyn Norry as Henrietta Sherman
- Byron Lawson as Terence Chou
- Mark Gibbon as Frank Bolo
- Brian Markinson as Inspector Dillon
- John Reardon as Greg Cameron
- Michael Rogers as Roland Randol
- Janet Kidder as Ann Sadler
- Richard Harmon as Julian Randol
- Caitlin Cromwell as Elena
- Juan Riedinger as Francis Hall
- Dallas Blake as Security Guard #1
- Nickolas Baric as Security Guard #2
- Aleks Holtz as Team Leader 2077
- Kagame: Every game needs its pawns.
- Sonya: Yes, but we should be leading them.
- Kagame: The beauty of a move lies not in its appearance, but in the thought behind it. They share our belief, our anger. It just needs to be cultivated. Now that we're in this time, what's past is prologue.
- Sonya: Shakespeare. And we rewrite the prologue.
- Kiera: What exactly is Kagame up to?
- Kellog: Optics. You want to paint them as criminals.
- Kiera: They are criminals.
- Kellog: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. But how do you switch from one to the other?
- Kiera: You give the public what they want. Become Robin Hood.
- Kellog: Hearts and minds, far more effective than bombs and guns.